Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
In October #TheSDGVizProject focused on industry, innovation, and infrastructure. We want to thank everybody who participated and supported the project this month and every month since the project started. A very special thank you to 5 of our participants who have participated in all 9 months. This month we also had 2 new participants, and a handful of returning ones. Thank you everyone!
See all of this month’s submissions below, click on them to view them on Tableau Public, and make sure to check them out in our Viz Gallery
What we learned from this month’s submissions:
- Mobile 4G network coverage has increased from worldwide from 33% to nearly 80% from 2014 to 2018
- Roughly 93% of the population in the most developed countries is covered by a Mobile 4G network. In the least developed countries, only 33% are covered
- As of 2017 less than half of the population had access to the internet. In Africa, less than a quarter had access
- In 2018, 82% of households in the most developed countries had a computer. In the least developed countries, only 9% of households had a computer
- More than 100 countries spend less than 1% of their GDP on research and development
- North America and Eastern Asia typically spend over 2% of their GDP on research and development. Africa, Southern Asia, and Latin America all typically spend less than half a percent of their GDP on R&D
- Spending on infrastructure has increased significantly since the start of the century, but growth has slowed in recent years
How can we contribute to improving industry, innovation, and infrastructure?
As is the case with many of the Sustainable Development Goals, one of the best ways we can help support improvements towards Goal 9 is to donate to organizations actively working on these issues.. Here are a couple such organizations, but as always, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
There are also a number of companies that have launched innovative projects to help bridge the worldwide connectivity gap. Check out a few of these below
Thank you for another great month, and keep an eye on our blog for the November Goal Announcement!