Goal 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
16 goals down, 1 to go. We can’t thank everyone enough for all of your support, and can’t believe we are this close to the finish line. As of now, we’ve had roughly 175 submissions from 50 different participants. As always we would like to give a very special thank you to our 100% club: Kamegaki Hiroyoshi , JUN Yamazaki, Satoshi Ganeko, Takafumi Shakuya, and Yasushi Ishikawa! This month, we would also like to thank Rushil for participating in 9 of the last 10 Goals, and Maki for submitting 3 entries this month! Thank you everyone!
Check out all of the Goal 16 submissions in our Viz Gallery!
Goal 16 Submissions:
What we learned from the Goal 16 submissions:
- The global homicide rate is 10 out of 100,000 people. In Sub-Saharan Africa, it is 2.5x higher, and in Latin America and the Caribbean it’s more than 4x higher. In El Salvador, it was more than 20x the global average in 2015
- The Top 5 countries in terms of total intentional homicides in 2018 were Brazil (51k), India (41k), Mexico (36k), South Africa (21k), and the United States (16k). The top 3 in terms of intentional homicides per capita were Honduras (78), South Africa (73), and Venezuela (72).
- Women account for only ~20% of all homicide victims, but in cases of family or partner related homicide, they account for more than 60%
- From 2015 to 2019, there were 1,940 killings and 106 forced disappearances of civil rights defenders, journalists, and trade unionists. Of the disappearances, more than half of these occurred in North Africa & West Asia. Of the killings, nearly 60% occurred in Latin America & the Caribbean
- Worldwide, more than 25% of children under the age of 5 are not registered with a civil authority. In Sub-Saharan Africa, more than 50% are not registered
- Worldwide, more than 30% of firms identified corruption as a major constraint. In South Asia, Middle East & North Africa, and Latin America & the Caribbean, it was more than 40%
How can we help to promote peace, justice, and strong institutions?
- Vote in local and national elections
- Be passionate about what is happening in your country. Stand up for what you believe in, and do so peacefully
- Take an interest in other demographics to create a more inclusive culture
- Report any suspected abuse or violence to the authorities
- Volunteer at local anti-violence organizations and outreach programs
- Participate in local events to get to know your local community in a safe environment
- Be a positive role model by promoting and practicing peace
Thank you for another great month, and keep an eye on our blog for the next Goal Announcement!